Sunday, March 21, 2010

07/15/01 Area:One Festival (Moby, Outkast, Incubus, Nelly Furtado) @ Jones Beach Theatre, Wantagh, NY



This was quite a show. I remember there was a lot of buzz about the venture, possibly due to the diverse genres being presented by organizer Moby (an aptly named descendant of Herman Melville).

I went with the friend who introduced me to the sweet leaf. It was a pain in the ass taking public transit to Jones Beach. I think it was the first and last time I had to endure that ordeal.

We were still in the parking lot as pop R&B chanteuse Nelly Furtado belted out her hit single "I'm Like a Bird."

I'm not a big Incubus fan, so I skipped their set. There was definitely some other acts, but I don't remember any of them.

We were a little disappointed about the proximity of our seats to the stage.

Outkast was fresh off the success of Stankonia. The stage set was some sort of caveman wonderland. They were amazing - big lights and bright colors and "Bombs Over Baghdad." I told that to the reporter outside the show. Turns out he worked for Rolling Stone and I ended up in the magazine's Fan Notes section. I hope that wasn't my 15 minutes of fame. For months, I feared they would print my positive comments about Nelly Furtado, killing my little street cred.


Moby put on a fairly stellar set switching between guitar and conventional electronic music accoutrement, drawing heavily from his fully commercialized Play. Nelly Furtado filled in for Gwen Stefani on "South Side."

No comments:

Post a Comment