Friday, February 24, 2012

08/16/08 Battles/Black Dice @ Central Park SummerStage, New York, NY

Unfortunately the bus back from Boston came in a little late and I missed Gang Gang Dance's opening set. But I still caught two of the best experimental noisemakers in music, while my girlfriend headed home to nap.

Black Dice was delightfully weird. Their nonsensical swirl of glitchy blurps and bleeps is an acquired taste, but this performance initiated me into their wonderful squelch and today they are one of my favorite groups.

Battles are possibly even weirder, but strangely melodic and certainly virtuosic. Since departed de facto leader Tyondai Braxton led the group through prog math metal arena rock with skillful aplomb against the syncopated symmetrical clatter of his cohorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment